I’ve been suffering from severe migraines for years, and found some tips to avoid some of them. I’m not saying this is a cure, nor that it’s going to fit in most people’s diet. That’s just my own experience.
I suffer from a lot of allergies and intolerances. There are so many ingredients I can’t have, cooking is difficult. But the good news is that now that I know what I’m allergic too, I can avoid those ingredients, and I’m having way less food-induced migraines.
Products and ingredients that cause me allergy and tend to cause migraines :
- Soy. Often hidden as “lecithin”.
- Goat cheese.
- Anything non-raffined. Contrary to most people, I have to stick to white rice or pasta as whole ingredients make me really sick.
- Celery (often hidden in sauces, ham, soups…)
Products and ingredients I can have but that tend to cause me migraines :
- preservatives in charcuteries, such as Bresaola or in dried fruits.
- Strong cheese such as Comté, Beaufort, Blue Cheese, Roquefort… that’s a shame because I love those !
- Sugar. If I eat something too sweet without a proper meal around it, here comes the migraine.
Products and ingredients that tend to relieve migraines :
- Orange juice from the fridge.
- Blackcurrant, preferably frozen or sorbet
I suppose these last 2 ones have in common to be cold (my migraines give me a lot of temperature), sweet but with no added sugar, and diuretic. I was on diuretic pills for a while, my kidneys are still pretty damaged, so I recommend you don’t get started on diuretics unless your doctors prescribes you so.
So basically, goodbye to chinese food, pre-packaged food, a lot of restaurants.
That was #1, but there’s still so much to write on the subject, can’t wait !
What are your migraine-friendly ingredients ? What are the food that trigger migraines for you ?
- The “Threshold” theory (themigrainehelp.wordpress.com)
- The Real Culprit Behind Childhood Migraines – Food Allergies and Sensitivities (wholesomeone.com)
- My Quickest Migraine Fix (sarahberardi.com)
- Sensitivity To Food Isn’t Much Better (negativereaction.wordpress.com)
- Migraines Affected By Blood Flow to the Brain (prweb.com)